Monday, March 7, 2011

Edition #1 – Death to the Scum!



What better time to start a blog than following a dominating win over the Scum?  How glorious a Sunday morning was it to watch the men in Red trample all over our most hated rival?  I don’t know about you all but it felt damn good and well-justified.  My Sunday was made by early morning.
Being a “Yank” as my cross-ocean Red brethren would probably call me; I can’t explain how good I felt waking up that early and having my day made before 11 am.  Thanks boys!!  And, since this is a new blog, I don’t want to hear disparaging comments about a yank blogging about the Reds.  I’ve been following this club since 1995---yes, not as long as many, but long enough to have learned and read as much as possible about my beloved club without setting foot in Anfield---a life-time dream.  I’ve never witnessed us win the league, but I’ve seen us win everything else.  I’ve been there for the highs of Istanbul to the fun of the UEFA Cup-treble season, to the lows of the end of Rafa and Hicks and Gillette.  I even remember us with two managers….at the SAME time.  I remember beating Arsenal in the FA Cup through some of the ugliest football known to man and I’ve been there watching Stevie G going ballistic at Goodison park as a young man, wearing a different number.  I remember multiple strikers from Spain and their different levels of success and even a guy named Titi.  So please, don’t criticize me for building this blog or putting my thoughts out there.  Hell, I’ve seen all 29 of the league games this season---there are some benefits to living in the States in 2011.  I love my Reds
Now, with that out of the way:  everywhere I looked on the pitch yesterday I saw pride.  Excellent performances abounded, even from those who tend to let us down.  Hell, when I can say (out loud) that Lucas played well, you KNOW things are great for the boys.  The midfield did what they needed to do; the backline pretty much impressed in a season of weak performances.  Think about it; how many times to you remember Rooney or Hernandez or Berbatov being in any sort of dangerous position?  But, all the kudos must go to two men, Suarez and Kuyt.  Suarez’s performance was so strong that I honestly found myself THANKING Torres for leaving so that we could be blessed with this little man who create something out of absolutely nothing---how many times did you rewind those sequence in the box on the 1st goal?  I know I watched it at least 10 times before I could move on in the game.  And the endless-pit-of energy was always there where he needed to be.  Kuyt is so tireless; working hard from our third right up to the opponent’s goal.  Yesterday it finally paid off for him.  After all these years of faithful service wasn’t it just great to see him get those breaks? 
The introduction of Carroll was nice; I wish he’d had longer with Suarez but there were moments where you had to lick your lips.  That header back to Kuyt or his trap along the touchline indications that he’ll bring something new to the team that we’ve been missing for a long, long time.
The time is soon coming, if it is not already here, that no one will be able to say that Liverpool are a 1-man or 2-man team.  With the new dimension, dynamics and flexibility created by King Kenny and Steve Clarke in addition to the obvious (Suarez, Meireles, Carroll, Gerrard) times are definitely looking up.  This is a first post so I won’t discuss my worries about the backline or Pepe leaving or just what the hell Lucas does for us (yesterday’s performance truly was an aberration, I’m sure of it).  No, instead I’m going to celebrate my entrance into the blogging world lavishing in the glory of yesterday and the promise it brings for the future.

If you have something you'd love to share I'd love to hear it, just click the link below.
Until we meet again,
The Red Yank

No comments:

Post a Comment