Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Why It’s Good To Be A Red Yank

My British brothers and sisters of the Red Army are too close to the action; that’s why it’s better to be a Red Yank!!!  Warning: this was not written to offend so if you’re a sensitive type stop reading now; if you have thick skin and a pair of balls, go ahead and enjoy my light look at our shared journey of being Reds together.

I admit, I have not been inspired much since the end of the season.  Actually, the loss to Spurs to ensure we wouldn’t earn any European football in the 11/12 season was the end of my inspiration for writing this blog.  Over the off-season I’ve thought of multiple topics but I’m not like a lot of bloggers; I don’t write to establish a career in the field---those people are fooling themselves.  I don’t blog to pretend I’m “in the know”; I just don’t have the time or energy to fake it.  I blog simply to share my opinions as a Red Yank, to give you all some perspective from someone outside of the British Isles or instead of someone sucking off the nipple of their favorite Red, who they constantly claim as the “best ever” or, even more jadedly, “a great Red”.
Then it hit me; there are some serious benefits to not being a Red in Britain.  First of all, I’m not exposed to nor do I fall for all the bullshit that is printed in the press over there about the newest, greatest player seen at an airport.  I don’t ride in taxis with drivers claiming they just picked up Aguero and dropped him off at Melwood moments before I hailed them.  I’ve got great weather, beautiful sunshine, great food from every ethnicity in the world and, being a Red on the other side of the ocean, I realize that I’m not connected to the club anymore than the love I have for it, the players, and the ideologies by which Liverpool subscribe.  Yes, I’m not one of the Twidiots © (yeah, that’s me copywriting that) who pretend to know the inner-going-ons of the club and I don’t fake to know a guy who knows a guy whose cousin works as a shit stain remover at the youth academy and has the right ear and left testicle of King Kenny. 
Basically, I’m far enough removed to know that I’m a fan; just a fan…..just like the rest of you.

Plus, being here we get to see a lot of football….I mean, a LOT of football.  Talk to any ex-pat living in the States and you’ll see that they realize the blessing over their past lives in England.  Literally, I  watched every single Liverpool game last season (live).  We get 95% of the Premiership games in addition to about 5 La Liga games each weekend, more Bundesliga games and a few Ligue Une games every single damn weekend.  We get all the Champions League and Europa League games we'd want in addition to Mexican, Chilean, Brazilian, Argentinean and other leagues throughout the year…..all of this without buying additional television packages or having to watch over the internet and most of it in high-definition.  If we wanted to pay another $15 per month we could get literally hundreds of more games per month.  And none of this includes the fact that we get most of the international games from around the world as well.  Basically we here in the States get to watch incalculably greater amounts of football than our British counterparts.   It’s safe to say we pretty much have more football to watch here than is humanly possible; unless you’re a loser without a life, no interests outside of football and are allergic to the sun.  So, to anyone who thinks that Americans can’t possibly know as much about football as other people pull your head out of yer’ ass and realize……….we might actually know more (insert your personal version of a gasp here).

Proof positive; I don’t get in Twitter arguments about who knows what.  I’ll provide my thoughts and fears, and opinions but I won’t fall for the morons who post like they know what’s going on.  The thousands of miles also have not blinded me to the asinine assumption that somehow Lucas was the Player of the Season over Pepe Reina…..how that happened is a travesty (go watch the Newcastle game again—the first one—and tell me who didn’t do shit to close down on Andy Carroll when he shoved a rocket done Pepe’s throat).  Yes, it’s great to be a Red Yank but I definitely cannot wait for my trip to Anfield (looking at this December to catch two games over the holidays); it will be a life-long dream come true.  That’s one thing you British Brothers and Sisters in the Red army have over me every day of the week--every week you get to worship at the temple that will be my Mecca. 
I’ll be sure to try and bring some sun with me.

Until we meet again,
The Red Yank

No comments:

Post a Comment